SAVANNAH COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN, Savannah, GA
MFA in Motion Media, 2012  ,  , Thesis: Archives in Motion
COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY TEACHERS COLLEGE, New York, NY
MA in Educational Technology, 1993
THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA AT BERKELEY, Berkeley, CA
Bachelor of Arts in History, May 1989
SAVANNAH COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN, Savannah, GA, Professor,
Interactive and Game Design, January 2003 – Present
Designing Gamified Systems: Meaningful Play in Interactive Entertainment, Marketing and Education,
Focal Press Books (July 2015).
THINKING PAST, INC. Designer/Producer/Owner, Savannah, GA, 2013 – Present
Educational media company developing games, motion media and installations. The first product is the board game Fujian Trader to be manufactured and distributed by December of 2015.
• Designed and produced the strategy board game Fujian Trader.
• Successfully funded manufacturing of the game through Kickstarter campaign.
• Currently working with manufacturers and distributors to publish the game.
• Designing product specification for mobile version of Fujian Trader.
KIN VALLEY, Inc., Co-founder/Chief Creative Officer, Austin, TX, September 2010-2013
Secure COPPA compliant intergenerational social network and gameplay platform designed to bring together children under the age of thirteen and their friends and family.
Created concept and business plan.
- Recruited management team to help build and market product.
- Co-authored and filed the provisional patent application (PPA), and the follow-on patent application for the proprietary Storyline security secure social networking process.
- Oversaw all creative implementation to build out first product.
- Developed product strategy, product road map, and revenue models
- Developed and pitched prospective clients including the Girl Scouts of America, Bank of America and Tilt Arcades.
NOTIORA, Co-founder, San Diego, CA, 2001-2002
Text analytics software for rationalizing large catalogues of information.
- Co-founded catalogue/product content rationalization software company.
- Led marketing and branding strategy and implementation, including: corporate mission statement, naming, logo and identity, web site design, content and implementation, corporate communications plan, press releases, analyst and journalist strategy and tactics.
REDLEAF VENTURE CAPITAL GROUP, Chief Creative, San Francisco, CA, 2000-2001
Venture Capital Group that provided an internal consultancy group to support the companies in the VC’s portfolio.
- Senior creative strategist working along “swat-team” consultancy group of engineers, MBAs, and project managers.
- Worked with companies in portfolio to develop product strategies, revenue models and marketing plans.
GOMO TECHNOLOGIES, INC., Founder, VP Creative, San Francisco, CA, 1998-2000
Rich Internet Application in the form of a rich-media e-mail marketing technology company targeting the youth market and the companies marketing to them. Company was eventually sold to direct marketing company, Pomp, inc.
- Founded, built, ran and sold a rich-media e-mail marketing technology (an early Rich Internet Application) company targeting the youth market, whose clients included:
- Capitol Records, Mountain Dew, ShowTime and DreamWorks.
- Built company from the ground up, hiring executive management team as well as technical, creative and operational staff.
- Raised $2.8 million in two rounds of financing from angel and institutional investors.
- Managed daily operations of company.
- Worked with senior engineering team to conceptualize and develop a Rich Internet Application that was an ASP Java based, thin-client server side e-mail marketing technology to enable rich-media communication for corporations and consumers.
- Oversaw design, production and implementation of all company’s products and product lines.
- Worked with engineering, marketing and sales to anticipate and meet client needs.
- Responsible for all product innovation, including automation tools for rapid production and deployment of company’s core e-mail marketing products.
ASK JEEVES (Ask.com), Product Strategist, Emeryville, CA, 1998-1999
Question answering-focused search engine designed to let user get answers to questions using phrases from everyday language.
- Developed product strategy and business plan for Ask Jeeves’ Kids division, which included:
DISNEY ONLINE, Senior Producer/Creative Lead, Disney Online, North Hollywood, CA, 1995-1998
Disney’s Daily Blast was Disney’s first online subscription service for children and families with rich, interactive content deployed every day.
- Participated in founding of Disney’s online service for children and families.
- Built product strategy, designed and managed development and deployment of all content, games, and activities for Disney Online’s most visited section of their Internet service.
- Built and managed department of engineers, web developers, artists, animators (character and Flash), sound designers, producers and writers.
- Worked extensively with all Disney brands and characters maintaining the strictest style and character guidelines in the business to translate these brands into the online world.
- Collaborated on several Research & Development projects, including helping to design an interactive television show teaching early reading concepts with the Disney Channel, and working with Alan Kay’s Squeak Engineering group to develop a constructivist tool to help children learn principles of programming.
- Developed and managed usability testing for entire online division.
KNOWLEDGE ADVENTURE (JumpStart), Producer/Designer, Glendale, CA, 1993-1995
Knowledge Adventure was an edutainment software company known as the home to the top-selling JumpStart titles.
- Produced Knowledge Adventure’s two top grossing JumpStart titles – Kindergarten, and Preschool.
- Designed and produced Knowledge Adventure’s top grossing title – JumpStart Preschool
- Helped run marketing and product development team that defined and built Knowledge Adventure’s market defining product line from the ground up – JumpStart.
- Participated in creating and establishing company’s formal production process. Was the first producer to incorporate all aspects of the production process into the product development cycle of a title.
- Was the first designer to create a design specification that was subsequently utilized by off-site developers and later utilized by quality assurance as a test-plan. Design specification was later utilized as a model for new producers and designers at the company.
- Associate Producer and information architect for the Random House Kids’ Encyclopedia.
ELECTRONIC ARTS, Quality Assurance Tester, Redwood City, CA, Summer, 1993
Electronic Arts, incl. is a major interactive entertainment and game development and publishing company.
- Participated in all phases of the quality assurance process testing educational game titles.
- Developed a usability test-plan for the department.
Game: Fujian Trader (December, 2015 release)
A gateway strategy board game based upon a recently re-discovered 17th century Chinese trading map found in the archives of Oxford University’s Bodleain Library, the Selden Map. Players take on the role of merchant Chinese families, sending their ships out along the routes of the map to trade goods and gain influence before the Manchu invasion of 1644.
Game: Forager, 2012-2013
A gamified system design that leverages crowd-sourcing to help the Department of Natural Resources the capacity to identify, map and manage endangered and invasive plants. Partners include the UGA’s Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health (CISEH), i2STEMe Institute at Georgia Southern, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources and regional schools.
Patent Filing, March 17, 2011
Co-author: Storyline security for verifying content to share digital objects in computer-based social networks,
• Non-exclusive license to Kin Valley, Inc., for ensuring COPPA (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act) compliance.
Patent Filing, Feb 14, 2000
Co-author: Method and apparatus for communicating graphics data between a source and a recipient over a network.
• Cited in Patents by: Philips Electronics, Research in Motion, Deutsch Technologies, Microsoft.
Feb, 2014 Pulse Art and Technology Festival, Telfair Museum’s Jepson Center for the Arts, Savannah, GA
Work shown: Fujian Trader
Feb, 2013 Pulse Art and Technology Festival, Telfair Museum’s Jepson Center for the Arts, Savannah, GA
Work shown: Fujian Trader
Feb, 2010 From the Center: Now, a juried exhibition judged by Lucy Lippard for the Woman’s Caucus of Art, Chicago, IL
Work shown: By Hand
Feb, 2009 Big Sky Documentary Film Festival, Missoula, MT
Work shown: Mare Liberum
Aug–Oct, 2009 Ever Present and in Motion, a juried exhibition of SCAD faculty to celebrate the college’s 30-year anniversary.
Venues: Pei Ling Gallery, Savannah and the Woodruff Center for the Arts, Atlanta
Work shown: River of Lost Memory
Feb–Apr. 2009 Like Water for Rock, juried group exhibition of the Jewish Women’s
June–Aug. 2009 Art Network
Venues: Platt/Bornstein Galleries, Los Angeles, CA, The Finegood Art Gallery, West Hills, CA and the Gotthelf Art Gallery, La Jolla, CA
Work shown: Ready to Wear
May, 2009 Georgia Southern University’s Zach Henderson Library, Statesboro, GA May, 2009
Work shown: Ready to Wear
May, 2009 “Yom Hashoah,” Jewish Educational Alliance. Savannah, GA May, 2009
Work shown: Ready to Wear
May, 2008 NoYxZ: Explorations in visual and acoustic space, Indigo Sky Gallery, Savannah, GA
Work shown: Stele
Dec., 2008 Electoral College of Artistic Insight, Indigo Sky Gallery, Juried exhibition, Savannah, GA
Work shown: Political Sign
““Ladies of Industry” podcast, BTA.com, March, 2015.
“Three minute pitch,” Fast Pitch, Savannah, GA, March, 2015.
“Academic Games Program Panel,” Indiecade East, Astoria, NY, Feb,, 2015.
“Entrepreneurship and Educational Games,”1 million Cups, Savannah, GA, Feb, 2015.
“Best Business Practice for Young Designers,” SCAD’s Game Developer’s Network, Savannah, GA, Feb, 2015.
“Exhibiting Artist Panel,” Jepson Museum of Art, Savannah, GA, Feb 2014.
“Leadership in new industry,” invited talk at LEAD conference, SCAD University, Savannah, GA, January, 2013.
“Historical Game Design: Fujian Trader,” invited talks at Mystic Seaport Museum, Mystic, CT, August 2012.
“Gamification and STEM learning,” consultant, coordinator and speaker for State of Georgia Department of Education STEM teacher workshop, Savannah, GA, June, 2012
“Historical Game Design,” co-coordinated for SCAD Interactive and Game Design Workshop, Savannah, GA, April, 2011
“Designing a Social Media Environment for Families,” invited talk at SCAD’s Game Developer’s Network, Savannah, GA, February, 2011
“Upside, Inside, Downside: A story of start-ups,” invited talk at SCAD’s Game Developers eXchange, Savannah, GA, May, 2010
“Archives in Motion,” invited talk given at Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, GA March, 2010
“The Art of Documentary Film,” invited panel participant, Big Sky Documentary Film Festival, Missoula, MT, February, 2009
“Representing the Holocaust in contemporary art,” invited talk given at Armstrong Atlantic University, Savannah, GA, April, 2009
department and university service
• Assessment coordinator, 2004-2009
• Faculty mentor, Global Game Jam, 2010-2013
• Faculty representative, annual majors fair, 2004–present
• Faculty sponsor, Graphic Novelists Student Club, 2004-2007
• Faculty sponsor, Minecraft Club, 2012-2013
• Admissions, 2004-present
Graduate portfolio reviews
Calls and emails to prospective students
Oversaw class project to design gamified admissions experience
Representative in academic education panel
• Graduate reviews, MA students (14 students)
• Graduate reviews, MFA students (12 students)
• Graduate thesis advisor, Chenyuan Cui, “Small Screen, Big Data”
• Graduate thesis chair, Alexander Rohn, “Semiotic Domains in Educational Game Design”
• Jepson Museum’s ArtZeum advisory council, Savannah, GA
• Creative Coast Alliance, Savannah, GA
Business incubator planning team
• Savannah Economic Development Authority, Savannah, GA
Startup in residence, 2010
• Georgia Southern University MBA program,
Entrepreneurial mentor, 2013
• Woman’s Caucus of Art
• American Computer Machinery’s SIGCHI
• E-marketing & Entrepreneurship
• Social Media Design
• Gamification and Educational Game Design
• Introduction to Game Design
• Introduction to Interactive Design
• Introduction to Game Development
• Introduction to Interactive and Game Design (online)
• Survey of Interactive Media
• Interactive Design and Media Application (graduate level)
• Interactive Design and Media Application (online, graduate level)
• Collaboration, ideation & incubation (graduate/seniors)
• Survey of Computer Art Applications
• Survey of Computer Art Applications (online)
• Instructional Design Practicum
• Senior Studio
certification & tools
• SCRUM Master project management certified
• Adobe Creative Suite
• Final Cut Pro